Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ah-Young Oh's neo-classical knot rings...

Breathtaking.

Although I chronically peruse the website, I don't usually expect to find anything on Design*Sponge that throws me into an all out tizzy, but there's a first for everything! I noticed that have featured an amazing two finger ring by Ah-Young Oh, made of plated sterling silver, gypsy set cubic zirconia, and braided silk. This ring, pictured below, is a contemporary design inspired by portraits of Renaissance nobles, specifically the powered wigs and braided hairstyles of women from the time.

I really love the soft, tactile design of the ring, and the supple weave of the silk. Also, the use of gypsy setting is a nice honest way to balance out the opulence of the piece, it's a much more direct method of stone setting which requires the metal to literally be pushed up onto the stone.

I'm so glad that the editors of Design*Sponge included Ah-Young's piece on their blog, it makes me really happy to see jewelry considered as more than just a simple accessory.

No comments:

Post a Comment